Home
WAT PHRA THAT DOI TUNG (Mae Fah Luang district)
        The Phra That Doi Tung was constructed on a mountain peak called Doi Tung in 911 A.D (1454 B.E.) and is considered to be one of the oldest and most sacred of the Northern Thai kingdom.
        The stupa enshrines the collar-bone of Lord Buddha and thus is a sacred religious monument deeply revered by Buddhist followers throughout Thailand, Myanmar and Laos.

        It is believed that the existing route that leads to the stupas follows the same path taken by the Lord Buddha as he made his journey through the countryside to preach to his disciples and followers. The road passes by the Wat Noi Doi Tung temple and Tepparak Garden, believed to be the abode of angels and celestial beings that guard the holy shrine of Phra That Doi Tung. The Phra That Doi Tung is a distance of 7 kms from the Royal Villa on the old route and 12 km along the new route.
WAT PHRA THAT DOI WAO (Mae Sai district)
        Befere drive to Mae Sai about 100 meters ,you can see Wat Phra That Doi Wao where is located on a hill by the bank of Sai River.
        The Prince Wao built this temple and pagoda for the remains of Lord Buddha. It is one of the Oldest pagodas in Chiangrai, almost as old as Doi Tung Pagoda. There is a View tower for tourists to see the view of Mae Sai city and Tha Kee Lek.Tourists can park their car at the approach of stair of the Temple or can drive to the pagoda.
WAT RONG KHUN (City of Chiang Rai)
        Wat Rong Khun is very different to any of temple you are likely to see in Thailand.This temple is about 10 km south of Chiangrai city and only slightly off the super highway. A lifetime project of the national artist Chalermchai Kositpipat, the temple has a fine blend of traditional Buddhist art with contemporary themes. The temple is almost entirely white – no other colours are used at all. It is though decorated with small pieces of mirrored glass which add substantially to the temple’s spacious and airy feel. Designed to be viewed in moonlight, if you can manage to get there when the moon is out it’s worth the effort – very nice indeed.
        Rong Khon Temple is well visited on the weekends by Thai people. There were busloads of people on the temple grounds and in the nearby gallery.This temple is certainly worth a visit unless you have limited time... more info >>
WAT NGAM MUANG (City of Chiang Rai)
        Wat Ngam Muang is located behind Wat Phra Kaew. Start at Wat Phra Kaew by taking Ruang Nakorn and turn right when arrive Ngum Muang road, 300 m. is the distance from Wat Ngam Muang to the last turn.
History of Wat Ngam Muang
        Once there is only a shrine of King Meng Rai and built Wat Ngam Muang at the same place later. Wat Ngam Muang was built by Phya Sorn Ratchada Kong Ngern in 2032 B.E. Prince Ngam Muang of Chiang Saen restored it in 2220 B.E. after that it was left and ruined at last. In 2495 B.E. it was restored again.
WAT PHRA KAEO (City of Chiang Rai)
        Wat Phra Kaeo is located behind Wat Phra Sing, it is noted for its late Lanna Wihan and several fine bronze Buddha images.The temple is more famous,however,as the place where the statue of the Emerald Buddha,now enshrined in Bankkok, was originally discovered.
History of Wat Phra Keao
        Formerly called Wat Pa Yia (bamboo forest), this is where the Emerald Buddha was found. Thus the name of the temple was derived.

        On 21 October 1990 , Buddhist clerics and laity agreed to build the Jade Buddha (commonly called Phra Yok Chiang Rai) to celebrate the 90 th anniversary of the Princess Mother's birthday. The Buddha image was officially named Phra Phuttha Rattanakonnawuttiwatsanuson Mongkhon, which means the Buddha who is the source of gems.

        In the main prayer hall stands a huge bronze Buddha image in the posture of “sub-duing mara, or demon.” This is commonly known as Phra Chao Lan Thong in Chiang Rai. It was transferred from Wat Phra Chao Lan Thong to this temple in 1961. The main hall itself was built in 1960 in the neo-Lanna style with double-tiered roofs decorated with colored glass along the eaves and the beams. The front portal posts and gable are decorated with intricate golden patterns. The doors are showpieces of northern woodcarving techniques.

WAT PHRA SINGH (City of Chiang Rai)
        Wat Phra Sing is 2 blocks east of Wat Phra Kaeo, situated on Singha Klai Road, is a fine example of classic religious Lanna architecture. The restored temple is thought to date from the 15th century. "Theravada Buddhist image" or " the Phra Phuttha Sing Image",now at Chiangmai’s wat Phra Sing, was originally enshrined here. A copy now sits in this place.
History of Wat Phra Singh
        Built around 1385 in the reign of Prince Maha Phrom (brother of Prince Kuena of Chiang Mai) who ruled Chiang Rai from 1345 to 1400, this temple once housed Phra Phutthasihing (now in Chiang Mai).

        The temple is also well-known for its artifacts. The main prayer hall reflects a traditional architectural style, with wooden portals beautifully carved into a delicate pattern showing the interplay of earth, water, wind and fire, by the hand of local Chiang Rai craftsmen. The pattern was designed by one of Thailand 's renowned artists, Thawan Datchani. The temple itself houses a 5” by 24” replica of Buddha's footprint believed to be carved in the reign of Phraya Mang Rai, with an inscription in the ancient Khmer alphabet which reads “Kusala Thamma (Dhamma), Akusala Thamma (Dhamma),” to remind people of the Dhamma which instigates good deeds and refrains from undesirable deeds.

WAT KLANG WIANG (City of Chiang Rai)
        Wat Klang Wiang is a Lanna style temple that was built since 567 years ago. It was located in the middle of Chiang Rai city. Start at the Hall of Cultural, drive on Singhaklai road to Rattanakhet road. Wat Klang Wiang is next to Chiang Rai Police Station.
History of Wat Klang Wiang
        Previously called Wat Chantalok after the huge red “chan” tree once grown here, this is where the founding city pillar is located. However, during the modern-day mapping process, it was revealed that this temple is situated at the exact center-point of the city. The city pillar was thus erected, and the temple was renamed “Wat Chan Lok Klang Wiang”. In 1903, a big gale destroyed the “chan” tree, main prayer hall (ubosot), and an assembly hall (wihan). The name of the temple was thus reduced to Wat Klang Wiang

        In 1992, a new city pole was erected to replace the old one which had long collapsed. A mondop topped with a spire was built to protect the pillar from eroding elements, with a statue of the mythical Guardian Angle (called Thao Chatu Lokaban) to protect the city's birthplace according to Lanna beliefs. A chedi was built where the chan tree once stood. The statuettes of fully attired elephants stand around the base of the chedi. The main prayer hall was also rebuilt in neo-Lanna architectural style.
WAT PHRA THAT DOI JOM THONG (City of Chiang Rai)
        Wat Doi Jom Thong is located at Wiang sub-district of Muang, Chiangrai.
History of WatPhra That Doi Thong
        The history of this temple is very ancient and is based on a writing of Phraya Prachakhonjak who wrote the Pongsawada chronicles in the year 413 AD.In this record, it mentions that a Buddhist monk called Putthakosa traveled far to bring back a copy of the scriptures back to Burma and Phucome (which included the northern part of Thailand). He traveled to Yonok Nakhon (now Chiang Saen) and brought along 16 Buddha relics. These were turned over to Phrachao Pangkarat – the leader of Yonok Nakhon who in turn gave one big and two medium sized relics to Phaya Ruean Kaew, the leader of Chai Narai (now Chiang Rai). Phaya Ruean Kaew built a pagoda on Doi Tong and named it “Doi Jom Tong Pagoda“

        Opposite Wat Phra That Doi Thong are located 108 city pillars of Chiang Rai, which the citizen unanimously agreed to build in 1988 as an expression of gratitude to King Mang Rai, as well as to celebrate King Bhumibol's 60 th birthday.

        The pillars were built according to Lanna traditional beliefs reflecting a combination of Buddhist and Hindu ideology. The pillars themselves are 5 feet thick and are of the king's height. They are arranged in several tiers of circles, symbolizing the universe with Sumeru Mountain in the center. The surrounding five water troughs represent the five oceans (the traditional Pancha Mahanathi), with Nirvana at its highest reach.

WAT PHRA THAT JOMSAK (Muang district)
        Wat Phra That Jomsak is located at Baan Du village in Muang district of Chiangrai
        It was formerly known as Prathat Baan Yang and was constructed at the time when Chiang Saen was a bustling town several centuries ago. The monk called Putthakosa who also visited Chiang Saen during the time of Phrachao Pangkharat, the 25th ruler of the city gave a relic some to Jomkitti, some to Phrathat Doi Baan Yang, The monk called khruba Khamla restored the pagoda in the year 1947 and renamed it as “Jomsak Pagoda“
WAT PHRA THAT JOM CHAN (Mae Chan district)
         Wat Phra That Jom Chan is located at Sansai sub-district of Mae Chan.
        A wise man called Kooba Thip Khanto, the former abbot of Baan Laew looked towards where the pagoda is currently located and saw a beautiful green light shine towards the sky. The following morning, he went to where the light emanated and saw this location that was a perfect place to construct a pagoda. They started construction in the Year 1925 A D.
WAT PHRA THAT JOMKITTI (Chiang Saen district)
        Wat Phra That Jomkitti is located at Wiang sub-district of Chiang Saen.
        This history of Yonok mentioned that leader called Pangkarat ordered the construction of the Pagoda in the Year 940 A D, the same period Prathat Doi Jom Thong was constructed. A relic that was given by a Burmese monk is interned in the pagoda. At that time, the pagoda was made out of wood.The leader called Suwandhamlan restored this pagoda.
WAT PHRA THAT JOMMORKKAEW (Mae Lao district)
        Wat Phra That Jommorkkaew is located at Ban Dongmafueang ofJommokkaew Sub-District in Mae Lao, Chiang Rai province.
        About a hundred year ago villagers from this area went into the forest to collect food and they noticed a termite mound, which looked like a pagoda. They believed that this bound contains the remains of some very important person. A pagoda was built at this location and named it "Jommorkkaew Pagoda"
WAT PHRA THAT JOMPHOR (Wiang Pa Pao district)
        Wat Phra That Jomphor is located on a hill at Wiang sub -district of Wiang Pa Pao, Chiang Rai.
        There is no record of when this site was constructed but it is estimated some in 1720 A D.

        It was being restored in the year 1979, during the restoration process, they found a silver plate with some inscriptions.
WAT PHRA THAT JOMJAENG (Mae Suai district)
       Wat Phra That Jomjaeng is located at Mae Suai, Chiang Rai.
        The legend told about this pagoda that a traveling monk visited this area and handed over relics to the villagers who visited him. The villagers placed the relic inside the pagoda named it "Jomjaeng Pagoda" ( jaeng means dawn)
WAT PHRA THAT JOMWAE (Phan district)
        Wat Phra That Jomwae is located at Phan District of Chiang Rai .
        It was build by a Leader of Phukhamyao (now Phayao province) called Ngam Muang in the year 1296 AD. This leader was told to have gone up the Hill of Sang Kham (Which means golden bamboo) or Doi Jomvae to look at this domain. He then ordered his people to build a pagoda at that location. The legend says that inside the pagoda is a relic of the Lord Buddha.
WAT PHRA THAT JOMJOR (Thoeng district)
        Wat Phra That Jomjor is located at Wiang sub-district of Thoeng, in Chiangrai province.
        It has been told that the Lord Buddha once traveled to Suwanaphoum. One of the places he visited was located along the Ing River near present day of Thoeng. A Naga or sacred water serpent visited the Lord Buddha and gave him three gifts. Phra Anond, a close follower of the Lord Buddha asked him to give the Naga one of the Lord Buddha's hairs. The Naga took this hair and told the leader of the town to construct a pagoda and named it "JomJor Pagoda"
WAT PA SAK (Chiang Saen district)
        Wat Pa Sak is about one kilometre to the west of Chiang Saen in Tambon Wiang, Chiang Rai province.
        It was built by King Saen Phu in 1295 and three hundred teak trees were planted, hence the name Pa Sak (Teak Woods). It was then the residence of the patriarch. The temple's chedi is of the beautiful Chiang Saen architectural style and the exteriors are elaborately decorated 12.5 meters tall with a base of 8 metres wide.
WAT CHEDI LUANG (Chiang Saen district)
        Wat Chedi Luang is located in Chiang Saen old town, CHiang Rai.
        It was built by King Saen Phu, the 3rd ruler of the Lanna Kingdom in early 13th Century. Ancient sites include the bell-shaped, Lanna-style principal Chedi which measures 88 metres high with a base 24 metres wide, the largest such structure in Chiang Saen. There are also remains of ancient Wihan and Chedi.
WAT PHRA THAT DOI PHU KHAO (Chiang Saen district)
        Wat Phra That Doi Pu Khao is located on the hill just before the Golden Triangle
        It is believed to have been built by a king of Wiang Hirannakhon Ngoen Yang in mid-8th century. Remains of antiquities still visible today are only the Wihan and crumbled Chedis. It is a viewpoint of Golden Triangle.
WAT PHRA THAT PHA NGAO (Chinag Saen)
        About 4 kilometres from Chiang Saen on the road to Chiang Khong is Wat Phra That Pha Ngao.
        There is a bell shaped Chedi standing on large boulders. Nearby is a Wihan where several old Chiang Saen-style Buddha statues are enshrined. There is also a viewing point to enjoy scenery of the Mae Khong and of Chiang Saen itself.


Best view Screen : 800x600 Pixels
For More Information: Chiang Rai Tourism Management Center
2nd fl., Chiang Rai Bus Terminal Building, Prasobsook Rd., Muang, Chiang Rai 57000
Tel .(+66)53-740584 Fax. (+66)53-740598
E-mail : tourinfochiangrai@yahoo.com
Copyright @2006 Power by : Mr.Sawang Thanom